11/08/2013

Running a Company, it's best to keep your main computers hard wired


While troubleshooting my home WiFi connection the other day (My computer has been suffering from occasional dropping of connection), out of desperation, I pulled up an app called iStumbler that gave me the sub channel and location data of other broadcasting wireless access points in the area around my house. 4 points including my own

The result of the scan actually provided some rather interesting results.  Having previously established a known "geo-locational" zone for my WiFi using my iPhone I was able to create a diameter of signal.

With this approximation of the fence I then took to google maps to figure from the longitude and latitude data iStumbler provided where the one un identified access point was in relation to my location.

The result of this bit of digital detective work? The church across the street from my location AND a residence two houses over the other direction have me sandwiched between two access points broadcasting on the same 802.11 sub-frequency.

You might be asking how this effects keeping a business' main computers cable networked, as opposed to wireless.  The answer is this. The 802.11 frequency currently has only 4 sub frequencies and 12 sub frequencies in active use, the risk of being knocked offline by "digital noise" is something that could cost your company that all important contract or sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment