9/30/2013

Are you prepared in event of a server issue?


reciently, my website, inertialzendesigns.com , found itself offline. The problem turned out to be server side as my hosting server changed the way they handled files.

This outage, I'm sure, cost me some very valuable hours of potential ability to attract new clients, as in a Web Designer's business, having a Website is rather important.

The outage, thankfully, was minimal due to the fact I had already been considering some other servers and the fact that I had a back up of the site available to me. It did, however realize a few very valuable lessions out of this

1. Never EVER bundle your server and your domain regestry. If both had been with one service, the issues with the server potentially could be a major disaster.

2. ALWAYS have a backup copy of all files available. Access to backup files can have your Website back up and fully running in under a half hour, without the panic of having to get a new Site built

3. CHECK your Website throughout the the day, everyday, make sure it loads and is still accessible on platforms that normally access it

4. HAVE an action plan in place to address any customer's that report back to you that your site is down should they be reaching your Website via a path like Twitter or Facebook.

If you remember the word EACH you should have a well maintained Website following the design phase, and to anyone who might have tried to access My site while it was down, please accept my appology and thank you for understanding

No comments:

Post a Comment