10/15/2013

Explaining what a Web Designer does to someone who does not understand Technology

Over the weekend, I was back in my Hometown for the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, I got the statement from my Mom that she was having problems explaining to my 90 Year Old Grandmother what I do as a Web Designer.

This caused me to have to think a bit about just how to go about explaining this, as I knew my Grandmother would be joining us for Turkey Dinner, and the solution came to me thanks to a project She had done when I was growing up.

The explanation that allowed me to answer the question "Just what does he do with his business" was that I do Page Layout, setting images and text in place to create a readable page, to which My Grandmother's response was "Oh Ok, that makes sense"


The fact of the matter is, I could have went into more detail, going into how I edit the photos, discussing things like Audio and Video files, Cascading Style Sheets and just what HTML stands for (Hypertext Markup Language by the way), but not everyone understand all that goes into Web Design. By describing it like a Typesetter, or Traditional Publisher is understood by someone who may not understand the world of Technology, in other words, Keeping it Stupidly Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment