5/21/2014

The Three Word Phrase that if remembered could bring civility to Social Media

"In My Opinion, Android is better than iOS"

"In My Opinion Star Trek is a better than Star Wars"

"In My Opinion  using @import is better than <link> "

Three statements that one might read in social media, honestly the list could go on and on with any topic. There are three common words with each of the above statements however. Those words, one simple phrase, IN MY OPINION

I'm sure growing up everyone has at one time or another almost everyone in the world has either heard or are aware of the statement 

"Opinions are like A-Holes...Everyone's got one and they all stink"

There is some truth to this, everyone does have their own opinion, in fact the very definition of the word is 

Opinion (noun) A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Even this blog that you are reading at this very moment is very much based on My Opinion, and that opinion is that the interactive nature of Social Media could see substantial growth if users were a lot more respectful of each other's opinions.

Am I saying that every post uploaded to places like Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus communities should have a blanket response equal to the cyber version of nodding our head and saying "That is 100% right" ? Not at all, for how could a society grow and learn new things without the debate that comes along with an opinion being bridged to a caucus.

What I am saying is instead of instantly calling someone an idiot, or denouncing their position on a topic as being wrong, how about we all take a minute to consider that the person is offering up their own opinion, and use the floor to find a consensus on the topic.

Now, I'm well aware that as people read this blog they may very well form a opinion that I'm coming off as condescending with my opinion on addressing opinions. If so, I invite you to, please express your opinion as to why you feel that way.

I would like to finish off this blog entry about opinions with another very common saying I grew up appreciating 


"I may not agree with your opinion, but I will defend your right to express it" 

No comments:

Post a Comment